Monday, January 11, 2016

FEAR

Fear. I hate that word. It cripples the bravest of men. It holds back the most determined of souls. It blinds us even to beyond rational thinking. It's shadow haunts us every day of our lives. Fear of messing up. Fear of what others might think. Fear of what we can't see. Fear of not living up to expectation. Fear of losing what we love. Fear of not being loved. This kind of fear, is the kind that makes you doubt, makes you stressed, makes you angry at life for not going as you planned.


One of my biggest fears, is myself. I'm afraid that I won't make a difference in the world. Afraid of the difference in the world I might make. Afraid that what I say or do, afraid that I won't become who I was made to become. 

This shadow, this blinding force, that keeps us from doing so much is like a trap, like a chain. Where's the escape? Where's is the light that penetrates this darkness? Is it faith? Is it love? Is it trust? Is it God?

Yes. I believe it to be all of those things, and yet trusting can be so scary. Have you ever been with your friends and done a "Trust fall"? Where you're friends stand behind you while you cross you arms and just fall backwards as you hope with all your might that they'll catch you? If trusting, and having faith in God is so scary, how does that overcome fear? Well, what about the thrill of a roller coaster after you've gone on your first one and you realize it's actually fun? What about the satisfaction of the cool water on your skin and the feeling of triumph after you decide to jump off that diving board? What about that assuring feeling you get when you decide to defend what you feel to be right? What about that peace you get when you decide to correct what you have done wrong? What about that warmness inside that you get when you decide to speak up? And it's not just the feelings that make it worth it. What about the smile that lights up her face as you compliment her, even though you were afraid of what she might think? What about that satisfaction in your parents eyes as you've accomplished a task, even though it was daunting? What about that excited look your little brother gets when you decide to play with him even if you're afraid you won't have time for other things? What about that penetrating, sinking, comforting, overwhelming love you feel from God when you've asked forgiveness for your sins? 

That fear is just the first step to becoming great. The heroes of history didn't find success by having easy fear-free lives. They found it by overcoming fears and just trying to be better. Many real adventures include fear. 
Fear is apart of mortality, but we can not only dispel, but destroy it when it comes, through faith, through love. And when a different fear arrives, we can wholeheartedly do it again.

I want to choose to trust in God. And not just because it feels good after you've done it, but because it's the right thing to do. I believe He sees a picture bigger and more beautiful than I can comprehend. He knows. He knows what it's like to be afraid, and He wants to help us overcome it. I'm defiantly not perfect at overcoming my fears. In fact, I'm one of the most fearful people I know But we've got to trust. How? By doing what we feel He'd have us do. So, fear is an opportunity. An opportunity to really strengthen your faith. A door to courage. 
  Fear. Well, I sort of like that word :)



2 comments:

  1. Cassia, thank you. :') I needed this post. I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too! Glad it helped 😊

    ReplyDelete