Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Letter to Expectation

Hey expectation! I know you want me to be perfect and do everything right. I know you want me to get up in the morning, and look at the day with confidence, and a smile on my face, always ready to take on the days challenges. I know you want me to do every assignment with exactness, and to do everything on my to do list. I know you want me to look flawless in every way. I know you want me to be sweet and loving all the time.You want me to accomplish every goal, and find every wish.
But hey expectation... You're going to have to suck it up, because I'm not that way. Maybe those things can be my ideal or be some things to shoot for, but my no means, are they everyday, going to be my reality.
The truth is, I'm weak. I'm imperfect. I mess up, I stress out, and I get sad sometimes. I lose my temper, I yell and get annoyed. I forget about assignments, I forget to do my laundry. I'm not a magazine model. I don't always like how clothes look on me, I get zits and bad hair days. I embarrass myself. I say dumb things-all the time. 
 So hey expectation... By all means, you can be there to motivate me. You can be there to cheer me on to do my best... But if you start making me feel like I'm never enough, or that I am hopeless, or that I don't matter... You can pack your bags and leave. 
Sure, I'll try to  do my best, I'll try to be helpful and love and be kind, but every time you raise the bar too high,  I'm going to fall. I'm not going to make it all the time because I'm human. 
 I'm not going to always accomplish everything on my to do list. I'm not always going to say exactly the right thing. I'm not going to take every step with a pure confidence. I'm not always going to get every answer right. I'll stumble, I'll trip, I'll fall flat on my face, but that's ok. That's ok because I can get back up again. After seeing what it's like to fail, it makes getting back up again that much better.
So, expectation. I'm glad you're there to keep me trying. But I'm not going to let you make me stop trying. 



1 comment:

  1. This is great Cassia. Bet it would go well in the Ensign for the youth. What am I saying? For everyone!

    ReplyDelete