Sunday, April 23, 2017

Paper Umbrellas

Paper Umbrellas

Just take me as I am.
I'm flawed and broken down. 
I've been to hell and back,
Oh kingdom, take my crown. 

These illusions, these masks,
We hide behind the truth.
Stealing our own identities.
Ripping at our youth. 

They say that perfect's possible.
The lies, they cut like knives.
Happiness and pleasure,
Look, it's their disguise. 

The rain falls, but all ignore
As it hits their face.
It's all paper umbrellas.
Thunder, lighting, waste. 
Expect much, don't love enough.
And then you have a place
Full of those who bleed to be 
Another flawless face.

Darkness wraps around us,
A warm blanket at first.
Then the heat becomes a flame
And causes all to burst.

All of the turning cheeks.
All of the wandering eyes.
Just stop and take me in,
Accept the words "I try."

Stop telling me I'm perfect.
Every time you do,
I think about the flaws that make
All you say untrue. 

If we could throw away
The fake, and just be real.
Trade our masks for mindfulness,
Put down our crowns to kneel.

Accept. People are flawed.
It's alright to be weak.
Love isn't beyond us,
It is what we all seek. 

Let's start to heal the wounds,
Set the captives free.
The world does not want us.
They want our liberty.

We must see for ourselves,
The chains that bind our hearts
Are just paper notions
That can be torn apart. 













No comments:

Post a Comment